The answer to this question largely depends on what kind of insurance you have, and what kind of insurance the other driver has.  If the driver who hit your car has property damage liability coverage — which is required of all vehicle owners in Florida — then the other driver’s insurance will probably pay for the damage to your car, assuming that you can prove that the other driver was negligent.  Once liability or fault has been established, the only issue then becomes how long the other driver’s property damage insurance carrier will take to get your car estimated and repaired.

For this reason, many people prefer to go through their own insurance company to have their vehicle fixed.  However, doing this requires that you have purchased comprehensive/collision insurance coverage — an optional coverage that many Floridians choose not to buy.  One drawback to using your comprehensive/collision coverage is that it normally comes with a deductible, meaning you will have to pay the first portion of your repair expenses out of your own pocket.  However, your insurance will generally eventually recover your deductible from the negligent driver’s insurance company.

For more detailed information about property damage liability and comprehensive/collision coverage, download our free book all about car accidents in Florida.

Post A Comment

Get Help Now

Please fill out the form below, and we will be in touch with you shortly to discuss your case. Hablamos Espanol.